Tuesday: Christmas Lights turned on in Oxford Street.
Anyone else feel like we skipped November in there? No? Must just be me.
You know when you're walking down a tremendously busy street and you feel a little like cattle being herded? That was Oxford Street on Tuesday as the lights were about to be turned on. While standing in a crush of people, trying not to lose my friend Ane or get trampled, I looked up and saw Eric Whitacre crossing about fifteen feet in front of me. (If you don't know his music, shame on you, but you can find him here.) If you've spent any time in big cities, you know that they are loud, and in this ginormous crowd on Oxford Street, it was especially loud. So when I saw Eric Whitacre, I thought I said "Oh my God, that's Eric Whitacre" at a totally reasonable volume. Judging by his reaction (head snapping around to see me staring with my jaw dropped), I was a little louder than I intended. He was very kind to come over and talk to me, but I'll admit I would rather have shown a bit more poise. There is some comfort in the fact that I'm certainly not the first choir geek to react like that when faced with him.
Saturday was Bonfire Night. This was fun (though we didn't see Guy Fawkes burned in effigy). My favorite thing about spending extended time in London is finding all the cool neighborhoods I have never seen as a tourist. For the fireworks we went to Primrose Hill. There is not an official fireworks show there (but there were a awful lot of unofficial fireworks going off all around us), but the hill offers a really great panoramic view of London so we could see several displays in the distance. People who planned better than we did made an evening out of it, packing picnics, champagne, and the like, but we contented ourselves with going to find dinner after the fireworks (I was actually pretty proud that I thought to bring a blanket). If you don't know the story of Guy Fawkes, this site sums it up pretty succinctly. They also sell shirts: Guy gear and Fawkesy Lady wear. I've been giggling about that for about ten minutes.
| Princess Amneris Gold Atlas Sandals (designed for the Royal Opera, London) |
Fawkesy Lady. Good stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment